URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States. Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations. URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/
- Hours: Full-time, Non-Exempt
- Location: Tamale, Ghana
- Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
URC is seeking an experienced Health and Nutrition Specialist for the upcoming USAID-funded Resilience in Northern Ghana (RING) II – Systems Strengthening Activity. This five-year Activity will strengthen service delivery systems to elicit the adoption of behaviors that promote nutrition and resilience of poor and food-insecure households in northern Ghana. Under the supervision of the SBC Advisor, the Health and Nutrition Specialist will support and co-lead implementation of a holistic SBC strategy to improve health and nutrition outcomes by promoting uptake of key health and nutrition behaviors and practices such as essential nutrition actions (ENA) and improved maternal diets and infant and young child feeding. S/he will support initial and ongoing analyses and assessments to identify and later monitor behavioral and systemic changes that lead to strengthened systems and resilience, in alignment with USAID Ghana priority accelerator behaviors. In line with the SBC strategy, s/he work with local actors to promote best practices, including in ENA and IYCF. S/he will collaborate with key actors for coordinated strategies and interventions in governance, livelihoods, and civil society, as well as with the Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) team for continuous quality improvement and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) across all levels.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership and monitoring for the design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of Activity-supported nutrition or public health interventions, which are in alignment with Ghana’s guiding documents including the National Nutrition Policy.
- Promote key interventions and behaviors as part of the ENA framework.
- Support the Ministry of Health (MOH), Ghana Health Service (GHS), and other key actors to build the capacity of health workers to deliver quality services to every client for improve health and nutrition outcomes.
- Work across the Activity teams to support an enabling environment for optimal health and nutrition behaviors through SBC and social mobilization activities.
- Link with the MOH, GHS, other key actors, and other Activity teams to develop quality improvement approaches and strategies, which integrate health and nutrition into other aspects of service delivery.
- Promote activities aimed at integrating nutrition and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) interventions.
- Other duties as assigned by her/his supervisor or Chief of Party.
Required Skills or Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, nutrition, or a related field.
- At least eight years’ experience in designing, implementing, and managing nutrition and/or public health programming and activities.
- Experienced in SBC program design and implementation.
- At least eight years of cumulative experience providing technical leadership to USG-funded nutrition/public health programming with/in international development agencies, non-governmental organizations, or other implementing partners with proven success and leadership.
- Knowledge of program design and development as well as advocacy and influence strategies.
- Prior experience working with USAID and other international donors is preferred.
- Proven ability to develop productive working relationships with public and private sector stakeholders, USAID and other donors and implementing partners, and organizations.
- Ability to work with people from a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Efficient management of processes and relationships particularly involving stakeholders, partner organizations and individuals (both internal and external), and beneficiaries.
- English fluency required, secondary language fluency desired. Strong verbal, written, presentation, and communications skills.
- English fluency required, secondary language fluency desired.
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Ghana, when required.
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please visit URC’s Career Opportunities page at www.urc-chs.com/careers.
You must upload your CV/Résumé and your Cover Letter where indicated. Also, please complete your application form and attach a completed USAID Form 1420 Contractor Employee Biographical Data Sheet as well.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
“Contingent on Contract Award”
- URC is an E-Verify Employer
- URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
- We value and seek diversity.
Please note, employers receive numerous applications per posting and will only shortlist the most qualified candidates. Also
Jobsinghana.com is not involved in any decision made by an employer/recruiter and therefore does not guarantee that applications sent
will result in a candidate being shortlisted/selected for that position.