The purpose of the West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emissions Development (WABiLED) Activity is to strengthen the capacity of national and regional networks and institutions to enforce and prosecute wildlife trafficking laws; improve regional and transboundary cooperation and conservation strategies that include private sector partnerships and incorporate best practices for sustainable natural resource management (NRM); and improve capacity for economic planning and development of LED strategies including REDD+. All activities must be implemented to achieve the following three objectives:
- Objective 1: Support combating wildlife trafficking (CWT) and great ape conservation through improved regional coordination and the operationalization of national and regional policies, laws, and regulations;
- Objective 2: Reduce deforestation, forest degradation, and biodiversity loss in key forests through technical and knowledge management support; and
- Objective 3: Reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and increase carbon sequestration from land use.
Under the direct supervision of the Grants Manager, the Grants Specialist will assist the Grants Manager in the day-to-day management of the WA BiLED grant portfolio. The Grants Specialist will serve as the primary point of contacts to grantees and subcontractors that will be assigned to him/her by the Grants Manager. The Grant Specialist will must have a full understanding of the relevant grants manuals and support the Grants Manager and WABiLED’s broader technical team in conceptualizing and designing calls for grant proposals, Annual Program Statements, and other forms of grant proposal solicitation, reviewing grant applications, and assessing potential grantee capacity to manage a USAID-funded grant activity prior to grant award. The Grants Specialist will support WABiLED grantees and sub-contractors (working under grants) in the implementation of their grant activities including ensuring the completion and submittal of sound financial reporting, timely completion of deliverables, ensuring the grant is implemented in compliance with Tetra Tech ARD and USAID grants management regulations and ensuring capacity building actions and activities for grantees and sub-contractors are designed and implemented as recommended (by technical, M&E, communications and other WABiLED staff). The Grants Specialist will also conduct periodic monitoring visits to grantees’ offices to review field progress and management procedures in the field, and will ensure timely and proper filing of grant documentation and related documents for easy retrievals and reference in accordance with Tetra Tech filing policy.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
The responsibilities of the Grants Specialists shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Serve as a member of the Grants Management Team to assist in implementing the WA BiLED grants program public announcement strategy;
- With respect to the preparation of grant opportunity announcements and selection of grantees, the Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Support the grants and technical teams in the development of Annual Program Statements (APS) and/or Requests for Applications and/or other grant types e.g., innovation and/or challenge grants;
- Support the grants team in posting/dissemination of APS, RFA and other types of grants opportunity announcements;
- Support the grants team to manage questions, and answers, collection, recording and cataloguing of received grants applications;
- Support the Grants Manger and technical teams in the review, selection and notifications to selected grantees;
- Support the Grants Manager to conduct pre-award surveys of potential grantees to assess financial, program, organizational capacities to receive USAID funds;
- Support the Grants Manager to organise specific training(s) to grantees based on needs identified during the pre-award surveys;
- Support the Grants Manager in putting together the grant package for selected grantees to Home Office for review and approval before submission to USAID.
- With respect to a grant portfolio assigned to the Grant Specialist, the Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Provide continuous guidance, training to grantees as needed during all phases of grant implementation;
- Receive and distribute grantees’ technical and financial reports to the respective technical leads;
- Conduct monitoring visits to grantees’ offices to ascertain progress of field work implementation and review/verification of asset register;
- Review grantees’ field activity expenses and reconcile their financial reports and authorize for payments;
- Oversee the timely implementation of grants in collaboration with WABiLED technical, MEL and communications staff;
- Ensure grants are closed out according to procedures detailed in the approved Grants Management Plan and reconcile all final deliverables and payments;
- Support grantees and sub-contractors to develop a filing system for grants documents that is compliant with USAID and Tetra Tech ARD filing requirements
Execute any other tasks being linked with the objectives of the project based on discussions with the Grants Manager and agreement by the Chief of Party (COP).
The Grants Specialist will be supervised by and report directly to the Grants Manager. S/he will develop functional relations with the project’s technical staff and collaborate with Institutional Partners, Implementing Partners, Grantees and sub-contractors
Workplace And Functional Responsibilities
- The Grants Specialists will be based in Accra.
- S/He will cover the entire WABILED intervention area (West Africa), depending on the assignment of his/her portfolio of grants.
- S/He will provide grantees and sub-contractors with all grants related support on daily basis and liaise with the Grants Manager.
- Establish and maintain grants information management system
- Monitor and ensure grantee organizations are aware of and in compliance with record retention regulations.
- Ensure adherence and compliance with the Grants Management Plan and USAID regulations;
- Ensure all proposed costs for grantees are reasonable, allowable and allocable;
- Provide training to grantees about regulations and monitor their compliance with regulations throughout the life of project;
- Provide compliance training as necessary to project staff; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills or Experience
Education: University Degree or Equivalent Experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years professional experience, with at least two (2) years’ experience managing grants programs (preferably for USAID-funded projects);
- Extensive and substantive experience contributing to international development assistance projects, preferably in West Africa;
- Administrative experience with demonstrable excellence in data management and record- keeping;
- Experience building financial and internal control capacities of partners and grantees; and
- Experience working in West African countries (both francophones and anglophones) will be an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues and report writing.
Other Job requirements:
- Must be willing to travel to project sites throughout West Africa.
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team and able to create a supportive working relationship among all project teams.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and professional proficiency in French preferred.
How To Apply
Mode Of Application: Submit your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
Deadline For Submission Of Applications: 6th October, 2021
Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations—in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial and cultural groups. Tetra Tech ARD is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note, employers receive numerous applications per posting and will only shortlist the most qualified candidates. Also
Jobsinghana.com is not involved in any decision made by an employer/recruiter and therefore does not guarantee that applications sent
will result in a candidate being shortlisted/selected for that position.