The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is a non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to expanding safe water and sanitation access in developing countries through science and innovation. Supported by the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, the five-year (2021-2026) Hilton Foundation Africa Water Quality Testing Fellowship Program aims, among other things, to collect water quality monitoring data from households, schools, and healthcare facilities in seven focal districts throughout Ethiopia, Ghana, and Uganda. This will provide a strong evidence base and inform strategies for water quality improvement interventions.
In early 2023, Aquaya will conduct a cross-sectional survey and water quality analysis in the Asutifi North district, Ghana. The activity is set to take three weeks and will measure:
- E. coli and free chlorine residual concentrations in household drinking water samples.
- E. coli and physical-chemical parameters from drinking water sources in 24 communities, 50 schools, and 8 healthcare facilities.
Lab assistants will test E. coli in samples using the membrane filtration method in a temporary field lab daily upon delivery. A separate team of research assistants will test physical-chemical parameters on site.
- Positions: Two (2)
- Job Period: 3 weeks
The lab assistants will report to Aquaya’s Program Officer for the duration of the data collection. Quality control checks will be conducted by both Aquaya’s Program Officer and Program Assistant throughout the data collection to ensure high-quality work.
Lab Assistant Primary Responsibilities
- Train with Aquaya’s Program Officer and Program Assistant on microbial and physical-chemical water quality sample collection and analysis procedures. The training will be held the week of February 13th, 2023
- Conduct microbial water quality testing. This will include processing and analyzing up to 30 samples per day. All testing will be conducted at a field lab in Kenyase, Ahafo Region.
- Each day, record all results and lab notes in a data collection form and mobile application.
- Ensure proper disposal of all samples and lab waste.
- Throughout data collection, ensure that testing equipment and data collection devices are well maintained, and the lab space is organized.
- Assist with calibrating field equipment as needed.
- Assist with lab and fieldwork logistics, as needed, and perform additional water quality testing-related tasks that the Program Officer may assign.
Required Skills or Experience
- Experience with microbial and physical-chemical water quality testing
- Excellent record keeping
- Strong communication skills in English (essential) and Twi (desired)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Experience with field data collection using digital applications
- Working knowledge of ethics for conducting human subjects research
- The lab assistants will be paid at a competitive daily rate and a per diem for days worked.
How To Apply
Send a one-page CV to [email protected] no later than 11:59 pm GMT on January 31st, 2023. No phone calls
Please note, employers receive numerous applications per posting and will only shortlist the most qualified candidates. Also
Jobsinghana.com is not involved in any decision made by an employer/recruiter and therefore does not guarantee that applications sent
will result in a candidate being shortlisted/selected for that position.