JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is a US-based not-for-profit organization that specializes in public health. For the past 30 years, JSI has been providing technical assistance to health programs in more than 106 countries across a wide-range of technical areas.
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO SUPPORT IMMUNIZATION ACTIVITIES FOR THE GHANA CDC GENDER BASED INTERVENTION FOR IMMUNIZATION PROJECT
- Start Date: April 3, 2023
- LOE: Up to 45 days
- Reports to: Sofo Ali-Akpajiak, Senior Program Advisor
JSI is currently recruiting for a Human Centered Design consultant, based in Accra, Ghana, to support the design and facilitation of a co-creation workshop for health workers, community health providers and community members in the Kpone Katamanso district. The co-creation workshop is currently conceptualized as a 2-day workshop with CHWs and community stakeholders including analysis of who is influential in the community; introduction and establishment of quality intervention teams (QITs); and exploration of HCW and community journeys: what it takes to move from one non-engagement to engagement in family health, specifically immunization (with root cause analysis).
The purpose of the project is to understand and increase family engagement in household immunization decision-making. This will be accomplished through formative research on how families in Ghana make decisions about immunization and related gender barriers and opportunities. The team will develop and deliver tailored engagement strategies and messaging on immunization that emphasize a family-based approach. Mothers, fathers, and other influential family members of vaccine-eligible children will be engaged through community-based actors such as community health workers (CHWs). The interventions will promote health-seeking behaviors that are beneficial for both routine and COVID-19 immunization. Interventions will be evaluated for effects on increased family engagement in and endorsement of immunization; knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to immunization among male caregivers and other family members; and immunization uptake among children.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- The consultant will engage in an orientation to the project and program activities including a discussion on the vision for the co-creation workshop.
- Work with the JSI team and Kpone Katamanso district to review findings from baseline data collection. Baseline data will inform the design and content of the co-creation workshop.
- Lead the design for a 2-day co-creation workshop to include health workers, community health providers, and community members. The workshop will be designed in collaboration with the JSI Ghana and Washington DC teams and in collaboration with a Gender consultant.
- The consultant is responsible for working closely with the JSI team and Kpone Katamanso district to arrange the logistics of the meeting (materials to be developed and printed, lay-out of the workshop space, etc.)
- The consultant will serve as the lead facilitator for the 2-day workshop. S/he will have support from the JSI team and Gender consultant.
- The consultant is responsible for coordinating with the Gender consultant and JSI to document the outcomes of the workshop.
- Following the co-creation workshop, the consultant will work with the JSI team and Gender consultant to review and synthesize learning from the workshop to finalize the design of gender and equity-based intervention(s) and training for community-health workers.
- Design co-creation workshop agenda, facilitation and participant materials
- Provide a review of the synthesis report from co-ideation workshop including action plan for implementation; JSI to lead report writing with support from HCD and Gender consultant
- Provide a review of the updated programming for gender-based interventions and trainings; this includes review of updated training materials
- Weekly engagement with Supervisor (email and standing weekly calls)
Required Skills or Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree in Public Health, Social Work, International Development or an equivalent field
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the health or development sectors
- Excellent skills and previous experience in designing and facilitating human centered design workshops
- Experience with immunization and/or gender based strategies a plus at (sub)national levels in low-resource health contexts
- High level of creativity, adaptability, and expertise in delivering technical assistance or consulting services to social entrepreneurs, innovators, and mission-driven international organizations.
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams, under pressure, demonstrating initiative and flexibility
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders from Ministry of Health to partners to frontline health care workers
- Professional proficiency in English and Ghanaian
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills required to interact effectively with end users/participants, as well as senior project leadership and partners
How To Apply
Qualified persons are required to send their cover letter
and Curriculum Vitae (CV)
marked “Human Centered Design Consultant”
to: [email protected]
- Deadline for the submission of applications: March 27th, 2023.
- Please note that given the likely high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- No phone calls or drop-ins will be accepted.
JSI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are welcome to apply.
Please note, employers receive numerous applications per posting and will only shortlist the most qualified candidates. Also
Jobsinghana.com is not involved in any decision made by an employer/recruiter and therefore does not guarantee that applications sent
will result in a candidate being shortlisted/selected for that position.